Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Lava Flow

This is the moment when the bronze objects from the previous post were created in spectacular fashion.


Poured from one seriously hot crucible...

The violence which is required to make beautiful metal objects never ceases to make me wonder about this apparent dichotomy. We so often think that beauty is effortless, painless and perfect. But so much of what we consider beautiful in jewellery is created through extreme circumstances. This is usually achieved by either human or nature though pressures and temperatures which our organic bodies couldn't possible withstand. The amazing physical qualities of the materials which smiths and jewellers use everyday is a source of wonder which keeps me coming back for more.
In my experience as a gold and silversmith I have found that the pieces which have taken the most struggle are the ones of which I am most proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment